February 22, 2000
1. MINUTES of previous meeting.
** APPROVAL OF AGENDA
2. PERMITS (Projects over $50,000 with no objections and with staff recommendation for approval).
3. EXECUTIVE SESSION (if necessary).
4. REBECCA M. GRAY, ET AL, #99-1606. Commission review of the January 18, 2000, decision of the Virginia Beach Wetlands Board to approve the excavation of approximately 782 cubic yards of sand from the backface of a coastal primary sand dune situated along the Chesapeake Bay to provide relief from blowing sand.
5. CLARENCE A. HOLLAND, ET AL, #00-0002. Commission review of the January 18, 2000, decision of the Virginia Beach Wetlands Board to approve the excavation of approximately 293 cubic yards of sand from the backface of a coastal primary sand dune situated along the Chesapeake Bay to provide relief from blowing sand.
6. WEST BANK GROUP, #99-1422, requests authorization to install nine (9) 150-foot breakwaters, one (1) 130-foot breakwater, (1) 90-foot breakwater, eight (8) 100-foot breakwaters, a 150-foot revetment and a 150-foot toe armor structure with associated bank grading, beach nourishment and marsh grass plantings along 5,300 linear feet of shoreline adjacent to their property on the James River in Isle of Wight County. The project is protested by adjacent oyster ground leaseholders.
7. ISLE OF WIGHT COUNTY, #99-1423, requests authorization to install three (3) 150-foot breakwaters and one (1) 100-foot breakwater with associated bank grading, beach nourishment and marsh grass plantings along 1,100 linear feet of shoreline adjacent to the Fort Boykin property on the James River in Isle of Wight County. The project is protested by adjacent oyster lease holders.
8. JOHN REGISTER, #99-1653, requests authorization to install up to ten (10) commercial aquaculture floats in two areas over his leased ground situated along Cabin Creek in York County. The project is protested by an adjacent property owner.
February 22, 2000
9. BERNARD RUSSELL, #99-2188, requests authorization to install one (1) 55-foot long low-profile groin adjacent to his property situated along Onancock Creek in the East Point area of Accomack County. A Coastal Primary Sand Dune/Beach permit is required.
10. S. J. DOBSON, #99-1405, requests authorization to construct a 56-foot long by 22-foot wide boathouse with partial sides adjacent to his property situated along the Western Branch of the Elizabeth River in the City of Portsmouth. The project is protested by an adjacent property owner.
11. PRESENTATION of a plan submitted by Mr. Jerome Libassi in response to the Commission's decision on his Application for Reassignment, Lease #12024, that was heard on December 21, 1999.
12. PUBLIC HEARING: Proposed amendments to Regulation 4 VAC 20-430-10 et. seq., "Pertaining to Marking and Minimum Mesh Size of Gill Nets."
13. PUBLIC HEARING: ASMFC required amendments to regulations pertaining to recreational summer flounder size, season and possession limits, recreational eel possession limits, and commercial scup trip limits to comply with the interstate fishery management plans for these fisheries.
14. PUBLIC HEARING: Proposed amendments to regulation 4 VAC 20-252-10 et. seq.,"Pertaining to the Taking of Striped Bass," to improve enforcement of the regulation.
15. REPEAT OFFENDERS.
16. REPORT on results of recent ASMFC meetings.
17. RECOMMENDATION: Commercial Fishing Advisory Board.
18. FAILURE to report.
19. DISCUSSION: Use of fish pots to circumvent the crab fishing season; Request for Emergency Regulation.
February 22, 2000
20. DISCUSSION: Requesting approval of 2000 Oyster Replenishment Program and Procurement Procedures.
21. DISCUSSION: Proposals for Oyster Ground Leaseholder Assistance.
22. PUBLIC COMMENTS.
VMRC DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES; THEREFORE, IF YOU ARE IN NEED OF REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE ADVISE LAVERNE LEWIS (757) 247-2261 NO LATER THAN FIVE WORK DAYS PRIOR TO THE MEETING DATE AND IDENTIFY YOUR NEEDS.
February 22, 2000
2A. FISHERIES MANAGEMENT DIVISION, #99-2010. Conservation and Replenishment Department requests authorization to construct a 500-foot long by 50-foot wide intertidal oyster shell reef at the confluence of Craney Island Creek and the Elizabeth River in the City of Portsmouth.
2B. STANLEY KOZUB, ET AL, #99-1413, requests a modification to their previously issued dredge permit to allow for minor alignment shifts and channel deletions within their proposed navigation channel in Hebden Cove in Virginia Beach. Recommend a revised royalty in the amount of $16,412.85 to reflect the net reduction of subaqueous bottom material to be dredged, from 39,144 cubic yards to 36,473 cubic yards, at a rate of $0.45 per cubic yard.
2C. CITY OF VIRGINIA BEACH, #00-0057, requests authorization to maintenance dredge approximately 20,000 cubic yards of bottom material annually, on an as-needed basis, from the Long Creek municipal channel to restore maximum project depths of minus eight feet (-8') at mean low water with an overdredge tolerance of plus or minus six inches.
2D. DEPARTMENT OF MINES, MINERALS AND ENERGY, #99-0795, requests authorization to modify their existing permit to install three additional K-dams within Indian Creek between Cane Branch and Store House Branch to enhance aquatic life in conjunction with the Indian Creek Sedimentation Project, Phase II, in Wise County. Recommend approval with our standard instream permit conditions.