1. MINUTES of previous meeting.
2. PERMITS (Projects over $50,000 with no objections and with staff recommendation for approval).
3. Request by VIRGINIA LAND AND FOREST (Bluegreen Properties), #97-1579, for Commission concurrence to consider a resubmittal of their permit application to construct a 50-foot long by 6-foot wide timber community pier with a 25-foot long by 10-foot wide L-head, adjacent to property situated along Goughers Creek in Northumberland County.
4. MR. ROBERT PAYNE, #98-0203. Commission review on appeal of the May 6, 1998, decision of the Mathews County Wetlands Board to approve in modified form a permit to construct a 115-foot long commercial pier adjacent to their property situated along Milford Haven in Mathews County.
5. MR. JOHN E. DOHNER, #98-0587. Commission review of the May 28, 1998, decision of the Essex County Wetlands Board to approve construction of a 242 linear foot riprap revetment adjacent to Mr. Dohner's property situated along the Rappahannock River.
6. MR. JOHN FAIRCLOTH, #98-0241. Commission review on appeal of the May 21, 1998, decision by the Suffolk Wetlands Board to deny his request to construct a 30-foot long by 40-foot wide commercial platform adjacent to his property at 729 North Main Street situated along the Nansemond River.
7. MR. CHARLES WILLIAMS, III, #98-0667, requests authorization to construct a 32-wet slip commercial marina with a 4,900 square-foot timber restaurant platform, a 210-foot marginal wharf with a 215-foot T-head, a 40-foot access pier with a 200 square foot fueling platform, a 75-foot service pier and two (2) 115-foot piers and associated mooring piles adjacent to his property situated along Cockrell Creek in Northumberland County. The project is protested by the adjacent property owner.
8. MR. PETER FISCHER, #98-0467, requests authorization to install a single non-riparian mooring buoy in the Western Branch of the Corrotoman River near the mouth of John Creek in Lancaster County. The project is protested by three property owners and an oyster planting ground leaseholder in the area.
June 23, 1998
9. MR. CARL SCHLIFER, #98-0501, requests authorization to construct a 12-foot by 34-foot roof over the T-head of his existing private pier adjacent to his property situated along Free School Creek in Gloucester County.
10. MS. ELOISE S. DURRETT, #98-0547, requests authorization to install 200 linear feet of riprap at her property situated along the James River in Chesterfield County. Wetlands permit required.
11. MR. BERYL BOGGS, #98-0780, requests authorization to construct 336 linear feet of bulkhead at his property situated along the James River in Chesterfield County. The project is designed to connect to Mr. Robert McBride's proposed bulkhead. Wetlands permit required.
12. MR. ROBERT McBRIDE, #98-0806, requests authorization to construct 140 linear feet of bulkhead at his property situated along the James River in Chesterfield County. The project is designed to connect to Mr. Beryl Boggs' proposed bulkhead. Wetlands permit required.
13. CONSERVATION AND REPLENISHMENT, #98-0348, requests authorization to construct two (2) 30,000 square foot intertidal oyster reefs. The proposed location of the first reef is approximately 3,000 feet south of the mouth of Cranes Creek between coordinates 37° 48' 36" north latitude 76° 18" 10" west longitude and 37° 48' 30" north latitude and 76° 18' 07" west longitude. The second intertidal reef is proposed for a location approximately 1,500 feet southwest of Fleet Point between coordinates 37° 48' 35" north latitude and 76° 17' 08" west longitude and 37° 48' 41" north latitude and 76° 17' 08" west longitude in Northumberland County. The project is protested by the Working Watermen's Association of Virginia.
14. CONSIDERATION of appeals of crab pot license denials.
15. MANDATORY REPORTING appeal of Michael Shackelford.
June 23, 1998
16. REPORT on the recent Blue Crab Management Committee Meeting and Finfish Management Advisory Committee Meeting.
17. DISCUSSION: Request for an amendment to Regulation 4 VAC 20-890-10 et. seq., to standardize the tolerance measure on undersize channeled whelk.
18. RICHARD PARKS: Appeal of Commercial Fisherman Registration License denial.
VMRC DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES; THEREFORE, IF YOU ARE IN NEED OF REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE ADVISE LAVERNE LEWIS (757) 247-2261 NO LATER THAN FIVE WORK DAYS PRIOR TO THE MEETING DATE AND IDENTIFY YOUR NEEDS.
FISHERY AGENDA ITEMS WILL BE CONSIDERED BY THE COMMISSION AT APPROXIMATELY 12:00 NOON AND WILL BE FOLLOWED WITH THE REMAINDER OF THE HABITAT PERMIT CASES.
June 23, 1998
2A. WESTMORELAND COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS, #96-0114, requests authorization to mechanically dredge 1,063 cubic yards of State-owned submerged bottom material with upland disposal to construct a 350-foot long by 20-foot wide channel with maximum depths of minus 3-foot (mlw) depth with a 100-foot diameter turning basin to reestablish access to a County mooring facility. Additional authorization is requested to construct a 32-foot long by 12-foot wide extension to the existing boat ramp, dredge a 24-foot long by 12-foot wide area of submerged lands to the minus 4-foot depth in front of the new ramp, construct two 83-foot long, 6-foot wide "L" head extensions and a 60-foot tending pier to the existing pier creating two wetslips adjacent to property situated along Currioman Bay in Westmoreland County.
2B. NORFOLK NAVAL SHIPYARD, #98-0506, requests authorization to extend their existing steel bulkhead approximately 26 linear feet, install approximately 27 linear feet of riprap, remove a timber walkway and mooring dolphins and replace them with a 230-foot concrete pier, install an 82-foot long boat lift pier, install a 139-foot floating dock, and dredge approximately 7,727 cubic yards of subaqueous bottom to a maximum depth of -14 feet at mean low water, as well as maintenance dredge up to approximately 700 cubic yards per year adjacent to their facility situated on the Southern Branch of the Elizabeth River in the City of Portsmouth. All dredge spoil shall be transported to Craney Island for disposal.
2C. JOSEPH L. LUTER, III, #98-0657, requests authorization to install nine (9) 95-foot breakwaters, two (2) 80-foot breakwaters, one (1) 115-foot breakwater, one (1) 100-foot breakwater, a 260 linear foot revetment with a 50-foot spur and a 100-foot spur/sill and the filling of 360,574 square feet of State-owned subaqueous bottom with 35,000 cubic yards of material for beach nourishment adjacent to his property situated along the James River in Isle of Wight County. Recommend a royalty of $18,028.70 for the filling of 360,574 square feet of State-owned subaqueous bottom at $0.05 per square foot.
2D. VIRGINIA POWER, #98-0519, requests authorization to install four (4) single-conductor electrical power cables under 2,516 feet of State-owned submerged land within Chuckatuck Creek next to the Crittenden Bridge between Isle of Wight County and Suffolk. Recommend a royalty of $2,516.00 for the encroachment under 2,516 linear feet of State-owned subaqueous land at a rate of $1.00 per linear foot.
2E. ROCKINGHAM COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS, #97-0921, requests authorization to modify a previously issued permit to include sand and cobble removal along Lairs Run in association with the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) emergency watershed program at non-exigency sites in Rockingham County.
June 23, 1998
2F. GREAT NECK POINT DREDGING ASSOCIATION, #95-0087, requests a modification to their previously approved proposal to allow for the dredging of approximately 100 cubic yards of sandy bottom material which has accreted into their permitted ancillary channel situated within the Lynnhaven River in Virginia Beach. Additionally, the applicant seeks a two year permit extension/modification to allow for maintenance dredging, on an as-needed basis, to restore project depths of minus five (-5) feet at mean low water. Recommend that all work for the current request be completed by no later than July 15, 1998, to minimize impacts to adjacent shellfish beds. Specific plans and drawings for future work must be submitted to the Commission for review and approval prior to the commencement of any dredging activities.
2G. HANOVER COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC UTILITIES, #98-0442, requests authorization to install a 16-inch ductile iron water main under Falling Creek and the South Anna River adjacent to Washington Highway in Hanover County. Recommend a time of year restriction from March 15 through June 30 and standard instream construction conditions.
2H. U.S. ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS, #92-1335, requests reactivation of their previously issued permit which expired on December 31, 1997, to place up to 1,550,000 cubic yards of material in the James River at four overboard placement sites for shoals between Hog Island and Hopewell. Recommend reactivation and extension until December 31, 1998, to accommodate needed dredging planned this year, which at this time includes an estimated 200,000 cubic yards from the Goose Hill channel and 300,00 cubic yards from the Dancing Point-Swan Point shoal channel.