** CALL TO ORDER
** INVOCATION AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
** APPROVAL OF AGENDA
1. APPROVAL OF MINUTES - July 23, 2002
2. PERMITS (Projects over $50,000 with no
objections and with staff recommendation for approval).
3. THE MT. HOLLY STEAMBOAT INN, #02-0668, requests authorization to construct a commercial pier with a 30-foot by 10-foot T-head, eight (8) finger piers and two (2) mooring piles to create a maximum of 11 wetslips and extending 130 feet channelward of mean high water, adjacent to their property situated along Nomini Creek in Westmoreland County. The pier will be used by the patrons of the Steamboat Inn. The project is protested by nearby property owners.
4. MARY P. LOWE, #02-1106, requests authorization to install an open-pile elevated deck that will encroach upon a Coastal Primary Sand Dune at her property situated along the Chesapeake Bay in the City of Hampton. A Beaches and Dunes permit is required. The project is protested by adjacent property owner.
5. SAM BROWN, #02-1041. Commission review of the July 18, 2002, decision of the Accomack County Wetlands Board to approve an after-the fact application for filling 650 square feet of vegetated wetlands, 38 square feet of non-vegetated wetlands, and the use of asphalt as fill material along Hunting Creek in the Hopkins area of Accomack County.
6. INLAND HARBOR HOME OWNERS ASSOCIATION, #99-2313. Commission review, on appeal by 25 or more freeholders of property within Northumberland County, of the July 9, 2002 decision of the Northumberland County Wetlands Board to approve the modification of the above-referenced application for the placement, stabilization and sprigging of 130 cubic yards of dredged material to be placed behind an existing jetty adjacent to the mouth of Warehouse Creek.
7. DAVID A. HARRISON, III, #02-1378, requests authorization to construct up to 897 linear feet of stone riprap revetment at his property situated along the James River in Prince George County. Wetlands permit required.
8. WAYNE K. TAYLOR, #01-2142, requests authorization to retain the placement of 150 feet of concrete panel bulkhead aligned approximately seven (7) feet channelward of an existing sheet metal bulkhead and the backfilling of 1,050 square feet of tidal wetlands at the applicant's property situated along the Appomattox River in Prince George County. Wetlands permit required.
9. HAMPTON HALL SEAFOOD, #02-0003, requests authorization to construct a commercial, open-pile, timber pier extending 56 feet channelward of mean low water with a 36-foot long by 44-foot wide (1,584 square feet) L-head for the shedding of crabs. The pier will be located adjacent to the applicant's property situated along Hampton Hall Creek, approximately 270 feet downstream of the Route 202 bridge crossing in Westmoreland County. The project is protested by a property owner across the creek.
10. NORTHUMBERLAND COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS, #02-1164, requests authorization to replace an existing deteriorated public boatramp with a 30-foot long, by 12-foot wide, concrete ramp which will extend 11.5 feet channelward of mean low water adjacent to property situated along Cranes Creek in Northumberland County. The project is protested by two adjacent or nearby property owners.
11. PUBLIC COMMENTS
12. PUBLIC HEARING: Request adoption of emergency change to the boundary of the Virginia Blue Crab Sanctuary near Smith Point as part of permanent Regulation 4 VAC 20-752-10 et seq.
13. DISCUSSION: Opening the Hampton Flats Hard Clam Harvest Area.
14. DISCUSSION: Amendment to Regulation 4 VAC 20-430-10 et seq., "Pertaining to the Marking and Minimum Mesh Size of Gill Nets." Request for Public Hearing.
15. DISCUSSION: The 2002/2003 Public Oyster Harvest Season. A request for Public Hearing at the September 24, 2002 Commission Meeting (Regulation 4 VAC 20-720-10 et seq.)
** DATE OF NEXT COMMISSION MEETING: SEPTEMBER 24, 2002
PAGE 2 ITEMS (Projects over $50,000 with no objections and with staff recommendation for approval)
2A. CHESAPEAKE BAY BRIDGE AND TUNNEL DISTRICT, #98-0901, requests a permit modification to place additional armor rock adjacent to trestle bents ASB 201.5 - ASB 203.5 and CSB 245 - CSB 246.5 to abate scour erosion caused by tidal currents adjacent to the Bay Bridge Tunnel. Recommend approval contingent on the District conducting a post-construction monitoring program, initiated immediately after construction and one year post-construction, which shall include a detailed analysis of the rock structures and adjacent bathymetry.
2B. ST SERVICES, #02-1278, requests authorization to construct and backfill 230 linear feet of steel, sheetpile bulkheading at their property situated along the North Landing River in Virginia Beach. Recommend a royalty in the amount of $920.00 for the encroachment of the bulkhead and fill over 460 square feet of State-owned subaqueous land at a rate of $2.00 per square foot.
2C. NATIONAL OCEANIC AND ATMOSPHERIC ADMINISTRATION, #02-1026, requests authorization to install approximately 5,203 linear feet of submerged, electrical data cable from the existing NOAA test "laboratory" on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel fishing pier to a location identified as 36º 58' 055" North Latitude, 76º 06' 872" West Longitude, immediately south of the Thimble Shoals Channel, hence to a point identified as 36º 58' 157" North Latitude, 76º 07' 306" West Longitude, hence to its origin to facilitate testing of bottom-mounted oceanographic instrumentation and current measurement in the Thimble Shoals Channel in the Chesapeake Bay.
2D. SHORE LAND TRUST, LTD., #02-1101, requests authorization to join an existing pier and a partly constructed pier together by constructing a 180-foot long by 8-foot wide walkway, creating 20 community boat slips, for the property owners at the Seaview Subdivision situated along Folly Creek in Accomack County. Recommend a royalty in the amount of $1,581.00 for the encroachment over 5,270 square feet of State-owned subaqueous land at a rate of $0.30 per square foot.
2E. PURDUE FARMS, INC., #02-1313, requests authorization to install a 16-foot long by 16-foot wide support platform for new offloading equipment and a mooring dolphin adjacent to their property situated along their Southern Branch of the Elizabeth River in the City of Norfolk.
2F. METRO MACHINE CORP., #02-0173, requests authorization to modify an existing permit to allow the installation of 260 linear feet of bulkhead, a 120-foot long by 120-foot wide open-pile crane platform and extend a pier 85 linear feet adjacent to their property situated at the confluence of the Southern Branch and Eastern Branches of the Elizabeth River in the City of Norfolk.
2G. DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY, #98-2191, requests reactivation and extension of their previously expired permit to replace 4,200 linear feet of an existing timber bulkhead with steel sheet pile bulkheading a maximum of two (2) feet channelward of the existing bulkhead adjacent to the Naval Air Station situated along Willoughby Bay in the City of Norfolk. The project scope has been reduced from the originally authorized length of 5,900 linear feet of bulkhead.
VMRC DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES; THEREFORE, IF YOU ARE IN NEED OF REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE ADVISE STEPHANIE MONTGOMERY (757-247-8088) NO LATER THAN FIVE WORK DAYS PRIOR TO THE MEETING DATE AND IDENTIFY YOUR NEEDS.