1. MINUTES of previous meeting.
** APPROVAL OF MINUTES.
2. PERMITS (Projects over
$50,000 with noobjections and with staff recommendation for approval.)
3. EXECUTIVE SESSION.
4. MURRAY HOWELL, #99-0970, requests authorization to construct a 16-foot by 34-foot open-sided boathouse near the channelward end of a 160-foot private pier adjacent to his property situated along the Piankatank River in Middlesex County. The project is protested by an adjoining property owner.
5. DANIEL HUDDY, #03-1046, requests authorization to install a single mooring buoy located at 37( 44' 26" North Latitude and 76( 30' 59" West Longitude, 300 feet offshore of his property on the Western Branch of the Corrotoman River in Lancaster County. The project is protested by a county resident.
6. RIVER POINTE VILLAGE PIER, #03-1595, requests authorization to install two (2) 144-foot long by 6-foot wide floating piers, ten (10) finger piers, 12 mooring piles and a 72-foot long by 4-foot wide floating walkway at a community pier to create 14 slips adjacent to their property situated along the Western Branch of the Elizabeth River in the City of Portsmouth.
7. KENT EARLY, #02-2344, requests authorization to construct an 8-foot wide private pier extending 460 feet channelward of mean high water with a 54-foot by 24-foot open-sided boathouse, a 10-foot by 18-foot awning cover for a personal watercraft slip, and 1,480 square feet of open-pile pierhead and finger piers at the channelward end of the pier, and to construct two timber groins extending 48 feet channelward of mean high water with 10 cubic yards of sand placed as beach nourishment in the groin cell adjacent to his property situated along the York River in Gloucester County.
8. RANDALL SARFAN, et al, #02-2234, requests after-the-fact authorization to retain an 85-foot long by 4-foot wide open-pile walkway, a 16' x 12' floating dock and two (2) boatlifts at a community pier adjacent to his property situated along the Salt Ponds in the City of Hampton.
9. OTHER ITEMS
10. Request for Public Hearing: Proposed amendments to Regulation 4 VAC 20-1070-10 et seq. to address haul seine/submerged aquatic vegetation interactions.
11. Request for Public Hearing: Proposed amendments to Regulation 4 VAC 20-950-et seq. "Pertaining to Black Sea Bass".
12. Request for Public Hearing: Proposed amendments to Regulation 4 VAC 20-720 and 4 VAC 20-650 establishing 2003/04 oyster harvest rules.
PAGE 2 ITEMS (Projects over $50,000 with no objections and with staff recommendation for approval)
2A. NEWPORT NEWS SHIPBUILDING AND DRY DOCK CO., INC., #03-0913, requests authorization to demolish an existing timber pier and construct a concrete replacement pier 1,040 feet in length by 100 feet in width; a utility section 27 feet wide for a distance of 875 linear feet from the bulkhead along the pier; installation of two (2) 40-foot by 50-foot dolphins with bollards at 75-foot and 140-foot centers from the end of the pier, connected by walkways; two (2) floating standoffs for docking along the proposed pier; and to dredge up to 482,000 cubic yards of State-owned subaqueous bottomland adjacent to their shipyard facility situated along the James River in the City of Newport News. All dredge material will be transported to Craney Island for disposal. Recommend a royalty of $68,750.00 for new dredging of 152,777 cubic yards of State-owned subaqueous bottomland at a rate of $0.45 per cubic foot and a royalty of $13,686.50 per year for the encroachment over 136,865 square feet of State-owned subaqueous bottomland at a rate of $0.10 per square foot. Staff also recommends a permit condition requiring the planting of market size clams to mitigate for the dredging impact to approximately 61,966 clams, at a rate of 1.33/1, for a total of 82,415 clams, within one year of the initial dredging.
2B. CHESTERFIELD COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF UTILITIES, #03-1059, requests authorization to install a 36-inch forcemain sewer line, by trench and coffer dam method, a distance of 40 linear feet within Swift Creek, a tributary to the James River in Chesterfield County. Additionally, the applicant proposes to stabilize the streambed with VDOT Class I rip rap.
2C. CITY OF SALEM, #98-1992, requests reactivation and extension of a previously issued permit to construct a new raw water intake structure which will extend approximately five (5) feet below ordinary high water and installation of 3mm or less mesh-size intake screens at the intake opening adjacent to their property situated near 4th Street water treatment plant situated along the Roanoke River . Recommend time-of-year restrictions from 15 March to 30 June to protect the Roanoke Logperch and standard instream construction conditions.
2D. PERDUE FARMS, INC., #03-1600, requests authorization to dredge, by clamshell method, approximately 8,300 cubic yards of new material and 9,000 cubic yards of maintenance material from within mooring basins adjacent to their property situated along Jones Creek and the Southern Branch of the Elizabeth River in Chesapeake. All dredged materials will be transported to Craney Island for disposal. Recommend a royalty of $0.45 per cubic yard for new material.
2E. MOON ENGINEERING CO., INC., #03-1484, requests authorization to install two (2) new mooring dolphins consisting of up to 20 piles and a concrete cap, adjacent to their property situated at the confluence of Scotts Creek and the Elizabeth River in the City of Portsmouth. Recommend a royalty of $250.00 for each mooring dolphin.
2F. CITY OF NORFOLK, #03-1133, requests authorization to place 25,000 cubic yards of sand overboard to nourish the beachs between 8th View and 9th View Streets adjacent to the Chesapeake Bay.
2G. MOON ENGINEERING CO., #03-1485, requests authorization to maintenance dredge, by clamshell method, approximately 100,000 cubic yards of material from a 750-foot long by 90-foot wide basin to restore maximum depths of -36 feet below mean low water adjacent to their property situated at the confluence of Scotts Creek and the Elizabeth River in the City of Portsmouth.
2H. CHESAPEAKE MARINA, LLC, #03-0416, requests authorization to install 10 linear feet of riprap, 160 linear feet of bulkhead with 615 square feet of subaqueous fill, ten (10) 40' x 10' floating piers with gangways, four (4) 50' x 10' floating piers, an 80' x 10' marginal wharf for fueling facilities and to dredge 2,190 cubic yards of State-owned subaqueous bottom from a 600-foot long by 20-foot wide area to obtain maximum depths of minus eight (-8) feet below mean low water and to use the materials as fill on the upland in order to construct and operate a new 720-slip dry storage facility at their property situated along the Southern Branch of the Elizabeth River in the City of Chesapeake. Recommend a royalty of $0.60 per cubic yard for dredging, $2.00 per square foot of fill and $0.50 per square foot for the piers.
2I. HALIFAX COUNTY SERVICE AUTHORITY, #03-0066, requests authorization to install, by directional drill, 260 linear feet of an 8-inch forced sanitary sewer line beneath the existing streambed of the Dan River between U.S. Route 58 and the Virginia International Raceway in Halifax County.
FISHERY AGENDA ITEMS WILL BE CONSIDERED BY THE COMMISSION AT APPROXIMATELY 12:00 NOON AND WILL BE FOLLOWED WITH THE REMAINDER OF THE HABITAT PERMIT CASES.
VMRC DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES; THEREFORE, IF YOU ARE IN NEED OF REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CALL (757) 247-2200 NO LATER THAN FIVE WORK DAYS PRIOR TO THE MEETING DATE AND IDENTIFY YOUR NEEDS.