1. MINUTES of previous meeting.
** APPROVAL of the agenda.
2. PERMITS (Projects over $50,000 with no objections and with staff recommendation for approval).
3. CORDON DAVIS, #98-1408. Commission review on appeal of the September 9, 1998, decision of the Gloucester County Wetlands Board to deny a permit to construct 125 linear feet of riprap scour protection along an existing bulkhead and 191 linear feet of riprap revetment adjacent to his property along Fox Creek.
4. BLUEGREEN/VIRGINIA LAND AND FOREST, #98-1652, requests authorization to construct a 60-foot long (mhw) by five (5)-foot wide, open-pile, timber, community pier with a 19-foot L-head extension adjacent to property situated along Goughers Creek in Northumberland County.
5. LANCASTER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS, #98-1117, requests authorization to construct a 450-foot long open-pile public fishing pier with a 71-foot T-head into the Rappahannock River at Westland Beach near Windmill Point in Lancaster County. The project is protested by numerous area residents and a commercial fisherman whose pound net is located adjacent to the proposed pier. Continued from the September meeting.
6. NAVAL SURFACE WARFARE CENTER, #98-1246, requests authorization to temporarily install three (3) timber piles to support a tide gauge and two (2) reflector arrays on Dawson Shoals; install two (2) reflector arrays on piles; erect a 70-foot and 32-foot aluminum tower, each supported by single timber pile, a 30-foot aluminum tower supported by a single steel pile; and to park an instrumentation van and other supporting equipment on Parramore Island in Accomack County. A coastal primary sand dune permit is required.
7. ANNE G. MUSTIAN, #98-1513, requests authorization to construct 70 linear feet of bulkhead at her property situated along the Mattaponi River in King and Queen County. Wetlands permit required.Agenda
8. MARK L. JEFFERSON, #98-1510, requests authorization to construct 100 linear feet of bulkhead at his property situated along the Mattaponi River in King and Queen County. Wetlands permit required.
9. CHARLES E. BOWLING, #98-1494, requests authorization to construct 105 linear feet of bulkhead at his property situated along the Mattaponi River in King and Queen County. Wetlands permit required.
10. COMMISSION APPROVAL of Deed conveying formerly submerged lands of the James River to Chesterfield County in accordance with Chapter 40 Acts of Assembly 1998.
11. DISCUSSION: VIMS review of results of Submerged Aquatic Vegetation Sanctuary in Chincoteague Bay.
12. DISCUSSION: Request for public hearing to consider proposed regulation to prohibit harvest and possession of bay scallops from Virginia waters.
13. BOB PRIDE: Presentation of "Economic Benefits Arising from Saltwater Fishing Activities in Virginia."
14. PUBLIC HEARING: Consideration of proposed amendments to Regulation 4 VAC 20-620-10 et seq., "Pertaining to Summer Flounder" to eliminate the 10 percent tolerance on vessel possession limits.
15. DISCUSSION: 1998 Oyster Broodstock Relocation Program.
16. PUBLIC HEARING: Consideration of proposed amendments to Regulation 4 VAC 20-20-10 et seq., "Pertaining to Fixed Fishing Devices" to establish a no-fishing zone around pound nets and staked gill nets.
17. APPEALS of Revocation of Conch Pot Permits.
18. DISCUSSION: Request for public hearing to consider amendments to Regulation 4 VAC 20-960-10 et seq. to establish a 7 fish possession limit and no closed recreational fishing season for tautog.
19. DISCUSSION: Fishery Management Advisory Committee request for consideration of an exploratory commercial fishery for American Shad in the York River in 1999. Request for public hearing.
20. RECOMMENDATIONS of the Commercial Fishing Advisory Board.
21. C. D. HANCOCK: Request for public hearing to consider clam conservation measures for the Newport News Shellfish Management Area.
22. FAILURE TO REPORT commercial harvests.
23. REPEAT OFFENDERS.
24. PUBLIC COMMENTS.
SPECIAL NOTE: THE COMMISSION MEETING WILL BEGIN AT 9:30 A.M. INSTEAD OF 9:00 A.M.
VMRC DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES; THEREFORE, IF YOU ARE IN NEED OF REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE ADVISE LAVERNE LEWIS (757) 247-2261 NO LATER THAN FIVE WORK DAYS PRIOR TO THE MEETING DATE AND IDENTIFY YOUR NEEDS.
FISHERY AGENDA ITEMS WILL BE CONSIDERED BY THE COMMISSION AT APPROXIMATELY 12:00 NOON AND WILL BE FOLLOWED WITH THE REMAINDER OF THE HABITAT PERMIT CASES.
October 27, 1998
2A. CITY OF CHARLOTTESVILLE, #98-1325, requests authorization to directionally drill under 70 feet of Ivy Creek and 58 feet of Buck Mountain Creek to install a 12-inch gas main in the County of Albemarle.
2B. GEORGIA-PACIFIC CORPORATION, #98-1475, requests authorization to construct an outfall diffuser structure extending 140 feet channelward of ordinary high water at their Big Island Mill facility located along the James River in Bedford County. Recommend approval with our standard in-stream construction conditions and a royalty of $140.00 for the encroachment over 140 linear feet at $1.00 per linear foot.
2C. HENRY COUNTY PUBLIC SERVICE AUTHORITY, #98-1563, requests authorization to cross 340 linear feet of the Smith River with a submerged 12-inch and a 16-inch water line buried to a minimum depth of two feet below the river bed to extend service to the DuPont facility in Henry County. Recommend approval with our standard in-stream construction conditions and a time-of-year restriction for all in-stream construction between March15 and June 30 to minimize impacts on the Roanoke Logperch
2D. LOUDOUN COUNTY SANITATION AUTHORITY, #98-1198, requests authorization to construct a 104 linear foot subaqueous waterline crossing under Elklick Run adjacent to Route 621 in Loudoun County. Recommend standard in-stream construction conditions.
2E. MANASSAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS, #98-1080, requests authorization to relocate and stabilize with riprap a 30 linear foot submerged sewerline crossing under Cannon Branch in the City of Manassas and Prince William County. Recommend standard in-stream construction conditions.