MARINE RESOURCES COMMISSION
August 29, 2000
NOTICE: THE COMMISSION MEETING ORIGINALLY SCHEDULED FOR AUGUST 22, 2000 WAS CHANGED TO AUGUST 29, 2000.
1. MINUTES of previous meeting.
** APPROVAL OF AGENDA
2. PERMITS (Projects over $50,000 with no objections and with staff recommendation for approval).
3. EXECUTIVE SESSION (if necessary).
4. ERLING ENGELSEN, #99-1991. Commission review on appeal of the June 27, 2000, decision by the Hampton Wetlands Board to approve in modified form a request to retain 26 linear feet of vinyl bulkhead and associated backfill along the boatramp at the Marina Cove Boat Basin situated along Harris Creek.
5. ETTALEA KANTER, #00-0464, requests authorization to construct an 60-foot long riprap groin adjacent to her property situated along Hampton Roads in the City of Hampton. The project is protested by an adjacent property owner.
6. HANOVER COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC UTILITIES, #99-1877, requests authorization to install a treated wastewater diffuser structure in the Pamunkey River. The project is protested by the adjacent property owner and others.
7. MR. AND MRS. GARLAND F. KARNES, #00-0512, request authorization to construct a 14-foot by 10-foot open-sided covered deck at the channelward end of a proposed pier adjacent to their property along Rowes Creek in Gloucester County.
8. MR. AND MRS. R. S. BLACKWELL, #00-0834, request authorization to construct a 36.5-foot by 19-foot open-sided private boathouse with an attached 16-foot by 16-foot open-sided covered pavilion at the channelward end of their private pier situated along the Northwest Branch of Sarah Creek in Gloucester County.
August 29, 2000
9. FLOYD MOORE, #00-0928, requests authorization to construct a 26-foot long by 14-foot wide deck on the roof of a proposed 26-foot long by 16-foot wide open-sided boathouse at the terminus of a 110-foot long pier to be constructed adjacent to his property situated along the Rappahannock River in Essex County.
10. LUCY FRYER, #00-0816, requests after-the fact authorization to retain 86 linear feet of vinyl bulkhead adjacent to her property along Onancock Creek at 23450 Pine Street in the East Point area of Accomack County. A Coastal Primary Sand Dune and Beach permit is required.
11. BENNETT'S CREEK LANDING HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION, #00-1023, requests authorization to install 15 uncovered boatlifts at their community marina situated along Bennett's Creek in the City of Suffolk. The project is protested by the adjacent waterfront property owners.
12. PRIDE OF VIRGINIA, #99-0277. Commission consideration of the Northumberland County Circuit Court directive to reconsider the civil charge assessed for the installation of pilings without proper authorization.
13. ROY COGGIN, #00-0622, requests after-the-fact-authorization to retain a 39-foot long by 14-foot wide clear span bridge crossing with associated abutment scour protection over the South Branch of the North Fork of the Hardware River in Albemarle County.
14. DISCUSSION: Consideration of Mr. Roger McKinley's failure to remit the civil charges agreed to by the Commission in November 1999.
15. OYSTER GROUND APPLICATION: Otis P. Asal and Robert A. Scott have applied for 50.00 acres of Oyster Planting Ground in the Chesapeake Bay near the mouth of Old Plantation Creek in Northampton County. The application is protested by three (3) individuals.
16. OYSTER GROUND APPLICATION: John D. Watts, Jr. and Ralph E. Watts have applied for 5.00 acres of Oyster Planting Ground in Hungars Creek near Station Clark and Mattawoman Creek in Northampton County. The application was protested by Mr. Stanley Mlodynia along with a group of petitioners. We have met with Mr. Mlodynia and believe we may have resolved the issue.
17. DISCUSSION: Request for a public hearing to be held at the September meeting to amend Regulation 4 VAC 20-754-10 et. seq., "Pertaining to Importation of Fish, Shellfish, or Crustacea", by making changes to the procedures for handling the certification of all shellfish imported from other States for introduction into the waters of the Commonwealth.
August 10, 2000
18. DISCUSSION: Request for a public hearing to be held at the September meeting to amend Regulation 4 VAC 20-720-10 et. seq., "Pertaining to the Harvesting of Oysters" for the upcoming 2000-2001 Public Oyster Harvest Season.
19. PUBLIC HEARING: Consideration of proposed amendments to Regulation 4 VAC 20-890-10 et. seq., "Pertaining to Channeled Whelk," to establish a 2 3/4-inch diameter minimum size, and to allow for the use of conch pots in tributaries to the Chesapeake Bay
20. PUBLIC HEARING: Consideration of proposed amendments to Regulation 4 VAC 20-900-10 et. seq., "Pertaining to Horseshoe Crab," to establish an annual harvest quota of 355,000 crabs.
21. DISCUSSION: Adjustment to Spanish Mackerel and King Mackerel size and possession limits. Request a public hearing.
22. REPORT of the Commercial Hook and Line Task Force.
23. PUBLIC COMMENTS.
VMRC DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES; THEREFORE, IF YOU ARE IN NEED OF REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE ADVISE LAVERNE LEWIS (757) 247-2261 NO LATER THAN FIVE WORK DAYS PRIOR TO THE MEETING DATE AND IDENTIFY YOUR NEEDS.
August 29, 2000
2A. U.S. MARINE CORPS, #00-0847, requests authorization to place 700 linear feet of riprap revetment and to construct a handicap accessible fishing pier along the shoreline of Chopawamsic Creek, a tributary to the Potomac River, in Stafford County.
2B. CITY OF ALEXANDRIA, #99-1502, requests authorization to install 370 linear feet of sheet-pile replacement bulkheads aligned within two (2) feet of existing concrete bulkheads at two (2) locations, backfill 740 square feet of State-owned subaqueous bottomland, and install a 1251 square foot deck and a 296 square foot floating dock and gangway at a third location and to replace three mooring dolphins along the City waterfront of the Potomac River in Alexandria.
2C. LANDSDOWNE COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT, L.L.C., #00-0954, requests authorization to construct an 82-foot by 371-foot roadway bridge over Goose Creek, a tributary to the Potomac River in Loudoun County. Recommend approval with our standard instream construction conditions.
2D. ST. MARGARET=S SCHOOL, #00-0956, requests authorization to construct 925 linear feet of riprap revetment extending a maximum of 12 feet channelward of an existing deteriorated bulkhead adjacent to their property along the Rappahannock River in Essex County.
2E. SUSSEX SERVICE AUTHORITY, #99-2116, requests authorization to install, by the directional bore method, 45 linear feet of submerged waterline crossing beneath Stony Creek and 50 linear feet of waterline crossing under Gally Swamp adjacent to the southbound lane of U.S. Route 301. Recommend our standard instream construction conditions and a royalty of $95.00 for the encroachment beneath 95 linear feet of State-owned submerged bottom at a rate of $1.00 per linear foot.
2F. U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION, #00-1115, requests authorization to install 12 anchor plates and associated anchorage for 15 vessels at the James River Reserve Fleet. The mooring Unit #3 anchorage is located specifically at 37E 06' 40" N latitude and 76E 37' 36" W longitude in the James River offshore of Fort Eustis in the City of Newport News.
August 29, 2000
2G. H. P. MCNEAL, #00-1164, requests authorization to construct and backfill 350 linear feet of vinyl sheetpile replacement bulkheading a maximum of two (2) feet channelward of the deteriorating structure at his property situated along Linkhorn Bay in Virginia Beach. Recommend a royalty in the amount of $636.00 for the encroachment of the bulkhead and fill on 636 square feet of State-owned subaqueous bottom at a rate of $1.00 per square foot.
2H. CITY OF VIRGINIA BEACH, #00-1258, requests authorization to install approximately 142 linear feet of riprap scour protection along pier foundations which support the Lake Gaston Pipeline aerial crossings of the Nottoway River, Assamoosick Swamp and the Black Water River in Southampton and Isle of Wight Counties. Recommend a time of year restriction from March 15 - June 30 to protect the Roanoke logperch, strick adherence to the Virginia Erosion and Sediment Control Handbook (3rd Edition, 1992) and the exclusion of machinery in the streambed.
2I. NEWPORT NEWS SHIPBUILDING AND DRY DOCK CO., #00-0583, requests authorization to dredge, by mechanical method, 300,000 cubic yards of State-owned bottom material (270,000 cubic yards of which is maintenance) from the James River to create and maintain maximum depths ranging from -25 feet to -70 feet at mean low water adjacent to their facility in Newport News. All dredged material will be transported directly to Craney Island for disposal. Recommend a royalty of $13,500.00 for the new dredging of 30,000 cubic yards of State-owned subaqueous bottom material at a rate of $0.45 per cubic yard. Further recommend the purchase and planting of 3,000 market-size clams as 1.33:1 mitigation for the impacts to 0.32 acres of clamming ground.